Being in my 50’s myself, and having lots of friends over 40, I am aware that we are a group of woman who are not embracing our age in the same way our parents’ generation did. That’s why we hear the phrases, “50 is the new 40”, “40 is the new 30”, and so on. And we do look younger than our mothers and grandmothers did at our age due to advances in healthcare, healthy eating, regular exercise, yoga, good skincare products, cosmetic procedures, great clothing, and attitude. We are working later, going back to school, divorcing and dating, travelling and just doing our best to stay healthy and live life to the fullest.
In our attempt to stay young, many of us in our 40’s find this time in our life confusing and difficult when it comes to dressing. We don’t want to look silly dressing too young and yet we don’t want to dress frumpy either. Here are some tips for helping guide you through this challenging time in our lives and still look sexy and fabulous …
- Don’t buy clothes in the same stores your teenage daughters buy their clothes. Your kids want you to look attractive but they do NOT want you to dress like them.
- Choose quality over “fast fashion”. Cheap just looks, well, cheap.
- The older we get, the more we need to embrace a classic, timeless style.
- To inspire your style, find one or two celebrities who are your age, a similar body type, and whose style you admire, and follow them online. They have professional stylists who help them and can help you figure what is appropriate for you.
- If you are going to show skin to be sexy, choose ONE area only … cleavage, legs, shoulders. If you show too much skin all at once, you will just look slutty, instead of sexy.
- Be very careful about showing cleavage. As we age, this area can become creapy and show your age too much. Breasts smushed together, forming a straight vertical line just show age. Instead, show off your shoulders or your collar bones, which tend to remain toned longer.
- Update your undergarments! Wearing the right bra and getting the girls “up” will help you look 10 pounds younger and 10 years younger! Lots of women are wearing worn-out bras or the wrong fit! Go for a professional fitting. Also, if you are still wearing “granny” panties, it might be time to try out some boy shorts, cheekies or thongs to get rid of those panty lines. Plus, pretty underthings just makes you feel pretty and more ready to drop those clothes when those moments of passion happen!
- Do you have to cut your hair short just because you are over 40? No! But long, straggly hair with no style will definitely age you. So does hair down to your waist! Once over 40, hair just below or at your shoulders tends to be more flattering, as well as side bangs that soften our foreheads. I love my short, short hair because I just feel sassiest, but short hair isn’t for everyone.
- Let the younger ones wear mini skirts and short shorts! On women over 40, generally we look like we are trying too hard, even if you have great legs. Skirts should be no shorter than 2″ above the knee. If you have a shorter sundress, then wear it with flats or flat sandals to still look tasteful. Your shorts should have a 4″ inseam, at a minimum. And if you struggle with cellulite on your thighs (as most of us do), ensure your shorts or dress or skirt is long enough that when you sit down and cross your legs, that those problem areas are covered. I have seen more than my share of women who are showing more than they realize when sitting.
- Towering heels again should be left to the young. Choose a 3″ or 4″ tasteful heel or wedge, or a kitten heel. Even though shoes always fit, some shoes can be too young for you.
- Beauty is genetic, but being attractive is making the most out of what you have. That means you have found the best hairstyle for your face shape, age and hair texture. It means you have learned how to apply cosmetics that play up your best features. It means you wear colours that work for you and styles that flatter your body type.
- A sexy woman is a stylish woman. Fashion comes and go, but style is who you are! If you need help in this area, a personal stylist can help! Personal stylists aren’t just for celebrities. See my website at www.theclosetdiva.ca to see how I can help you find your style, and how affordable it can be!
Finally, the sexiest woman is a confident woman! Throw your shoulders back, smile, and know you are one of a kind who is here on this planet for a reason, and the world needs to know you!